By Tom Adkinson
Every cruise is a voyage of discovery, and at least some of those discoveries are about human behavior. Here are 11 accumulated from a Caribbean cruise.
- After achieving a certain age or a certain weight, men shouldn’t wear tank tops.
- No man should wear a tank top to dinner in a restaurant.
- I’m sure the request to wear a collared shirt to the reservations-only French restaurant didn’t mean a bowling shirt.
- Many people should reevaluate their choice of swimwear.
- Use sunscreen generously. (See item #4.)
- Drinking a Heineken through a straw doesn’t “make you a lady,” as one woman declared between sips.
- Taking the last dozen cookies off a dessert display when people are in line behind you proves that your mother failed.
- When you know that every elevator on the ship is full, you can walk down one flight of stairs.
- A cocktail made with top-quality Kentucky bourbon or Tennessee whiskey that is dominated by a huge slice of pineapple is a waste of Kentucky bourbon or Tennessee whiskey.
- Cruise ship housekeepers are saints and deserve more than perfunctory conversation – every day.
- There is no mandate that you have dessert at every lunch and every dinner, but that’s a widely held belief.